Saturday, February 9, 2013

HOMEWORK


I’m being homeschooled by my fifth grader.

He doesn’t realize he’s my teacher. But each morning I check his homework, and he gives me a lesson on the basics of grammar and writing.

Most of the worksheets I check are review for me. This quarter, they were lessons on subjects and predicates, proper nouns, subject and verb agreement, verbs with direct objects and using correct verb tenses. These are principles I use each day in my writing but haven’t thought about in years.

I look forward to spending this time together. We discuss why his answers are right or wrong. He explains each lesson, and I give him feedback on the papers he writes. Sometimes I try the writing assignment myself while he is at school and ask him for a critique when he gets home.

His passion for the subject of English is not as strong as mine. But he likes being the teacher, and I like getting an education.

--cawk

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Carol ..
    and thank you for the comment on Whispering Wisps..see also my reponse there.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. English is a good subject to get passionate about. I believe I have something like that too. Perhaps we all do, in the Writers Group.

    There is a story I might like like to tell someday about that feeling with me. It is also a story about some serious tests and trials.

    ReplyDelete